Woopra

Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Heroes

When I first received the call from Tony Florez asking me if I could cover an event for him at the Ritz Carlton, my immediate response was, of course, "Yes". As the conversation went on, I learned that it would be an awards banquet and Lt Colonel Oliver North was expected to be in attendance. Unfortunately, most people from my generation only remember him from the Iran Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration. Those dang hearings dominated the television airways and interfered with our regularly scheduled afternoon programming. As I researched the special guest of the upcoming event, I found that he is a true American hero who has served his country proudly since 1968 and hasn't stopped since. But as it turns out, LtCol North wasn't the real hero that night...
The event I was asked to cover, "Salute to Our Heroes Gala" was being hosted by the Freedom Alliance. The Freedom Alliance is a non profit organization that supports our troops and their families at home and abroad, operates a scholarship fund for the children of fallen and injured soldiers, educates high school students through their military leadership academy, and educates the public, policy makers, and the media about UN policies to protect our national sovereignty.
Later on the evening we were treated to an award ceremony for Marine LtCol Christian Ellinger (21 years) and his wife of 17 years, Naval Commander Jennifer Ellinger (19 years) who jointly received the Service to America award for their years of service to our country. But they were not the real heroes that night either...
The real heroes that night were the active and medically discharged soldiers in attendance. These soldiers have voluntarily enlisted and served to protect our country. During the evening, LtCol North told the following accounts of some of the soldiers in attendance. 
One soldier, a Soviet immigrant, enlisted when he was 18 years old. When asked why, he said he wanted to thank the United States for allowing him and his mother to come to America. He deployed to Afghanistan with his unit last year and returned home shortly thereafter, leaving both his legs behind. Two Marine Corp snipers who returned from deployment with just one leg between them. And the Naval EOD (Explosive Ordinance Detail) soldier who returned home minus 3 fingers. He returned to duty, amazing in itself, only to lose a leg on his very next deployment.
I admire LtCol North, LtCol Ellinger, and CDR Ellinger for their accomplishments, but I decided the real heroes were the young men and women in attendance that have gone off to fight for my freedom. Especially the young man who could not shake my hand due to loosing one of his and the young men who had to look up at me to look me in the eye because they left their legs in a foreign country. And when I had to get down on my knees, on the concrete or wet grass, in my dress pants and polished shoes to take their portrait, I suddenly didn't really mind all the aches and pains in my knees I normally feel when I stand up. I now know understand how lucky I am to have those aches and pains!
Please enjoy the images below, and if you know a man or woman who has served in the armed forces for our country please tell them thank you on my behalf.

LtCol North took time to speak with EVERY service member
in attendance and signed dozens of autographs.
Saying the Pledge of Allegiance with
Commander Jennifer Ellinger in the background.
LtCol North as he is preparing to present the American Service Award
LtCol Christian Ellinger, Commander Jennifer Ellinger,
and 
LtCol Oliver North
 
LtCol North is and engaging speaker. At times I was so engrossed
with what he had to say I forgot I was supposed to be taking pictures.
Just a cool pic I wanted to post in honor of my Grandfather, 
Ray S Hamilton, Machinist Mate 2nd class (1922-2010).  
He served aboard the LST 460 which was sank during WWII by 
Japanese Aircraft off the coast of the Philippines on December 21, 1944.
Me and LtCol Oliver North


http://freedomalliance.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment